Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tips on PSD, compiled 15/03/2007

100608 updates: I feel that we need to be careful in our daily life for the rest of our lives after PSD has happened. I've heard a few cases where the pubic symphysis is torn again. I haven't but I believe it's a horrible feeling, and I don't know if it's gonna be worse than the first time it happened. So I will try my best not to have it happen again in the rest of my lives.

Things that I heard that re-tear the pubic symphysis are like:

1. running for bus
2. bending down to pick up toddler

Tips on PSD, compiled 070315

I've collected some information from internet and my own experience on how to deal with SPD. Hope this helps you.

1. Wear a special pelvic belt to help hold your pelvis together. Try to wear it all the time. I find it impossible to wear it all the time because it causes other problems like upset tummy or numb legs. It does help sometimes because your pelvis feel more stable.
2. Suck in tummy muscles as much as possible when changing positions.
3. Toughen your tummy muscles.
4. Abdominal exercises: core strength
5. My physio asked me to use an exercise ball to do the following exercises (which turned out making things worse and another physio who experienced PSD advised me to stop):
1) Sitting on the ball, lift one foot a little bit, and hold for a while, then the other.
2) Sitting on the ball, gently tilt pelvis.
6. Pillow between legs when lying on your sides
7. Pillow between knees when rolling in bed.
8. Pillow under knees when lying on your back
9. Stand with feet together.
10. Keep your legs together all the time.
11. Symmetrical all the time.
12. Avoid lifting, twisting, standing on one leg only, sitting with cross legs, tailor position, vacuuming, squatting.
13. Limit vigorous activities
14. Allow joints to heal while remain as active as possible.
15. Be extra careful not to slip!
16. Adapt your stride length to your pain.
17. Take one step at a time on stairs.
18. Rest as much as possible.
19. Sit with your back straight all the time.
20. Some people say supportive running shoes help handle the condition.
21. Some people say swimming makes them feel better. But do not do breaststroke. (I don’t know how to swim so this doesn’t help me.)
22. Some people recommended try Pilates.
23. I’ve been referred to an Orthopedist and due to see him next Wednesday. If he helps I’ll post more info here!
24. Some people find Osteopath + Chiropractors are effective.
25. Someone mentioned was referred to a Reumotologist. I don’t even know what a Reumotologist does!
26. (updated 100608) Physios may introduce some gentle exercises, mostly about 'core strength'. But I've found it's best for me to do no exercises at all. Of course pelvic floor exercises are a must to do, and it doesn't normally affect the pubic symphysis. I don't find any other exercises have done any help. As matter of fact they actually can make things worse. I don't even walk much. I find when it's severe I'd better limit activities to minimum. When mild, I can increase my activities just to keep my body and mind alive and fit and functional.

No comments: