Monday, February 28, 2011

Bladder prolapse and exercise for PSD

Bladder prolapse was another major problem for me. I was told it was minor but it was already causing me too much discomfort. When I wanted to sit down I always felt it was squashed/squeezed (YKWIM). When I stood up I always had to hold my breath to 'help' keep my bladder where it should be. When I walked I also had to hold my breath trying to keep my bladder where it should be. If you're having the same feeling as I did, maybe we share the same problem.

From what I was told, it doesn't affect sex, it doesn't affect another pregnancy. To me, the above statements are true. Bladder prolapse is simply due to the weakened muscles on your vagina wall. When the muscles are weak, they cannot support the bladder above it, hence bladder falling a little bit down, causing the discomfort. It doesn't cause any problems, just discomfort. Of course mine didn't protrude so I don't know what'll happen if the bladder "falls out".

However, the bladder prolapse can become worse when you're pregnant because the hormones will weaken the muscles further causing the bladder to fall even more. BUT don't worry, here's the good part: after I suffered from a lot worse bladder prolapse during my 2nd pregnancy, I started pelvic floor exercises straight after the birth (of course I was doing them when pregnant too but the exercises could hardly beat the speed of the muscles' weakening), and STAYED IN BED AS MUCH AS I COULD for the first month after the birth, and have continued doing the pelvic floor exercises and now I can hardly feel the bladder prolapse. I think it's almost recovered, just waiting for the last bit to finish after I wean my 2nd baby (which will be in 7 months hopefully).

The key is, you need to get a special physiotherapist who specialize in pelvic floor exercises. Maybe ask your hospital. My current physio is one of them. She sticks her finger/s into my vagina and tells me how to do the pelvic floor exercises. It's "squeeze, lift, lift, lift, hold, relax". If your physio does this to you then you've got the right one. Then she can tell me whether I'm doing it correctly or not. If not, the exercise can hardly help you. But if you do it correctly, you can see improvements in days. I benefit from this special physio and thanks to her efforts I'm now rarely feeling any discomforts in my vagina.

Although no one would admit it to me, I agree with you that prolapse could be part of the side effect of the separation. I have this theory but no one agreed with me, probably because they've never had a separation in their lives.

So in summary, my answers:

yes to sex,
yes to another pregnancy,
a good physio for pelvic floor exercises,
keep doing the pelvic floor exercises

About exercises for PSD: from my experience, core strength and pelvic floor exercises are the only exercises that I could do when I had PSD. No other exercises can help, if they don't aggreviate the condition. I was given some exercises by various physios who seemed confident in what they're doing but only felt more pain after doing them. Only symmetrical exercises can be done under this condition.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I delivered my baby in the beginning of March and now Im suffering from PSD. It's been almost a month now and there is still bad pain in pubic area. Im going to take x ray tomorrow to see how much my ligaments got seperated. My doc didn't even take x ray at the hospital when I was complaining about the pain. He just told me to wear pelvic binder.
From what I read from your research, if the separation is less than 2.5 then I should rest on my side. Right? But I feel really bad pain in my pubic area when I lye on my side so for all this time Ive been on my back.
Any suggestion??
And how wide was your separation? Thanks

Rowena said...

Hi Sorry to know you have PSD. The doctor didn't take my x ray too when I was in hospital. Actually even didn't give it to me when I asked for it months later. The first xray I had was 9 months after delivery and it was 1.5cm. It can be impossible for you to roll to your side when you have PSD. So if you can't, don't do it. Let pain be your guide. What I can think of now is to wear the belt, 24x7, if you can. And do as little as possible for your pubic area to have a chance to recover. Rest...

I can't write much now as I'm going out but please read my other posts to see if you can find more.

And join my yahoo group where other women suffered/ing from the same condition can probably discuss with you from their experiences. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PubicSymphysis/

I'll come back to post more if I can think of anything else and have time....

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you live in China?
I have another question. Did you breastfeed? I'm sitting down when I breastfeed and my back and bum are sore as hell. I can't lye on my side so can't breastfeed lying down.
Thanks so much and yea.. i'll join yahoo group. I feel better now that I can talk to someone about this..

Rowena said...

No I came from China but now live in Sydney Australia. I did breastfeed. Yeah I know what you mean about your back and bum. I still remember suffering from those pains. From what I was told, when you're breastfeeding your body is still affected by the hormones so all the ligaments are still loose, hence the pain here and there, and hence slow recovery of your pubic area. When you're done with breastfeeding you'll recover better. I did.

I know what you mean when you say you feel better now. It's so hard to find someone in real life to understand what's going on with you when you have this condition. And you're too young to be on crutches...you might not be on crutches but I was, for a long time and no one understood.

I strongly encourage you join my yahoo group as you will probably hear from other sufferers too and they might help you in some way too. You might need my approval to join but that's just how yahoo group works and you'll be approved. :)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am in tears reading your blog. Almost 21 months ago I had my son and was diagnosed with PSD. I have looked for a while for a group or blog of someone who truly understood the injury.
We've been told we may not be able to get pregnant again. We've been trying for 7 months. I didnt know if maybe you had been told the same thing or had any difficulty yourself. Of course my midwife and doctor tell me they will not recommend fertility treatments due to the instability and weight of the pregnancy.
It may take me a while to read through your blog but I wanted to tell you THANK YOU!! I will check out the yahoo group too!!

-Stephanie, Texas

Rowena said...

Hi Stephanie

I know what you mean. Big hugs to you. I haven't found anyone in real life who truly understand this injury either.

I've never heard that PSD can affect fertility. I fell pregnant again as soon as we tried. I didn't have any difficulties in falling pregnant with either baby.

You might want to read posts about my second pregnancy to see what you might expect.

You're welcome Stephanie. If I can help you a tiny bit then what I've done with this blog and the yahoo group is worth it. Feel free to post messages in the yahoo group because the other ladies might be able to share some experiences too.

Take care

Rowena

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog! My 4th baby was born in October and I had SPD diagnosed after I could no longer walk after birth. He was 10 lb and got stuck. Went through so much worry and anger trying to heal. Chiro didn't help, ob didn't help, now trying PT. just discovered what I think is bladder and rectal prolapse this weekend and scared to death.

Rowena said...

Hi there

Hugs to you. I had similar feelings when I had all those conditions. Anger, worry, frustration etc.

If you're still breastfeeding, this process can take longer.

If you think you have prolapse, find a good physio. Ask your doctor, your hospital etc to recommend one who specialize in pelvic floor exercises.

If you feel you want to hurt someone including yourself, talk to a counsellor/psychiatrist. I did.

Get any help that you can. And rest as much as you can. Read my blog entries and see if anything can help you and if you have any questions, post it here or in my yahoo group to see if you can get any answers.

Please take care.

Rowena

Kathy said...

Sorry to hear this and all your struggles. I can relate this, but not totally. I suffered from an odd illness too though I'm not quite as sensitive as you are. Frankly, I wish there was a cure, for all us. If there was, we wouldn't be here, feeling alone and helpless right? But blogs as these connect us with one another letting us know that we're not alone after all.

Rowena said...

Thanks Kathy for your comments. Yes my purpose of setting up this blog is to raise awareness and also provide as much support as I can to those "feeling alone". It's great to have internet isn't it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rowena,
I am 13 weeks pregnant and i have had PSD since my 9th week. Though, i first noticed pain in my pubic area when i was 8 months gone with my first pregnancy but the pain is nothing compared to what i feel now.
I live in Nigeria and cant seem to find a physiotherapist who knows much about this condition.
I have not had sex with my husband for 4 months now coz of fear.
I am a working mum and i need help fast. 40 weeks seem like forever.

Rowena said...

Hi there,

Have you tried a pelvic belt/pregnancy belt? That's what I used during the second part of my last pregnancy. I think you need support in that area. Also search internet to see what other support you can get. And there are medicines for pain relief that are safe in pregnancy too.

Anonymous said...

I have ordered for a Symphsis belt in the UK but i am yet to get it.
My Doctor prescribed dihydrocodeine but i am a bit reluctant to use it regularly cos its an opiate.
Thanks for your response.
God bless you.

Rowena said...

I wouldn't use any medicine regularly either. But sometimes you might need it just for temporary relief.

Maybe try anything that can help support your pelvis.

Hang in there. You will get there. It won't be an easy journey but it will end. Try to get any help you can get, like whoever you can get to help with housework etc.