Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Saw physio sue today

Last week, at 17 weeks pregnant, I started feeling my pelvis falling apart/unstable. It's worse when in bed. It feels like my pelvis has separated into many pieces and each piece wants to go it's own direction when I want to move in bed: rolling, getting off the bed.

I called physio Sue who called me last week and went to see her this afternoon. There's not much she can do. It seems that a soft belt such as the one I'm wearing is the best I can do now. The belt is actually the elastic tube that the physio Tracey gave me 3 years ago. She sold me a maternity belt but it's too hard for me at the moment because the belt is pressing against my tummy which is growing. The tube is softer.

I showed her the x-ray that I had when 15 months postpatrum which showed I still had 1.5cm gap. She was surprised that the gap was still that big at that time.

I also gave her an updated diary of my PSD history highlighted with major points, and a print out and some highlights of this page.

Sue also gave me some suggestions:

1. minimum bending, lifting, stairs (actually 2 hours later I did laundry which involved all of these...)
2. try small steps
3. pelvic floor exercises and pelvic tilting exercises (lying on back and pressing back against bed) to toughen tummy and pelvic floor muscles.
4. wear belt as much as possible when standing, walking
5. I'll be in pain later on and will probably go on walkers

She said the hospital will buy some new belts in the near future and I can call her a few weeks later and come and try to see if they fit me.

No comments: